Few points on Bravo's personal leadership

Feedback from guys I have personally worked with either thru
-Phone Coaching
-1on1's
-Project X

Few points on Bravo's personal leadership

Postby Ice » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:36 pm

So I was initially asked not to post this because Bravo wanted to keep this private, but felt that I had to let you guys know how big this was. I made sure it was cool with him and after some discussion, he slowly came around.

Before I went to residency, I sent Bravo an e-mail asking his quick opinion on two suggestions that would make a positive impact on me as a leader in the future.

He wrote back right away and told me it was easier to discuss over the phone for 10-15 mins and to set up a time with him in the next couple days. Bravo had been sick all week - so no need to take my call on Saturday. But, he said he would call, so he did.

We got straight to it – he first asked the question of why I thought he was a great leader. The reason he asked me that was – not to build his ego – but to help me go through the process of reflecting and digging deeper as to what attributes I see in someone as a strong leader – and why those characteristics were important to me as a leader.

Bravo shared his stories of leadership that I won’t repeat, but one thing that clicked with me, was seeing how these stories that I originally thought were about the game and pickup, were really about leadership. It was like uncovering a major piece of the puzzle, even though it has been right there, in front of me the whole time.

A few leadership lessons that I can share:

• Master your craft
• Never say one thing and do another
• You are your own standard
• Never bend on your values and what you believe in
• Look through your own eyes, the eyes of person’s eyes, and the eyes of everyone in the room
• When someone is lying to you, lying about you, or wronging you, hold your ground, be cool, set it straight
• When people fuck you over, remember how shitty it felt, and never do that to someone else
• Lead by your own example
• Never ask someone to do something that you would not do yourself
• Know your purpose, what you do and why you do it. Live through your values. Stay resilient through the tough times
• When you go through strife, reflect - what went well, what did not go well, and what could be better for next time. Think about whether you want to put yourself in that same position again. If no, then don’t.
• If you say you’re going to be there, be there.
• If you can’t be somewhere or do something, be upfront
• Remember the things people do for you and help you with on your journey
• Remember the things that people do, period.
• When someone wants to start an argument with you in front of people, see if you two can just chill and be cool - if escalate then still be cool, but be logical about it

Two points from Bravo that sets him apart from other PUA coaches:

• Never steal a set from a student
• Don’t fuck a PUA’s ex.

The reason this stood out for me was because I have heard stories of other well-known coaches stealing sets from students, lays from students/their own jr. coaches, or fucking their fellow brothers' ex. ie. A jr. coach at Mystery's seminar was telling me a story of how he pulled a girl back to mystery's place and mystery isolated her and then told jr. coach to go home and he'll owe him one. This is straight up bullshit - if you're solid you don't need to do any of this to get laid.

Also one thing I learned too was Bravo never wanted to be a leader. We see a lot of guys in the community trying to be alpha and trying being leaders of their tribe and fighting for the crown. Well, ‘Heavy is the crown’ – bravo says. Through situations in Bravo’s experience, people continued to look to him time and time again and he rose from it.

In the end, our 10-15 minute conversation ended up to be quite a few hours long with 13 pages of notes. I was blown away – and I still am as I write this. What other coach does this?

As a learner, I have very high standards of whom I learn from. I came out of this call thinking “Holy shit. I can’t believe Bravo spent so much time on our call”

1. The fact that we even had a phone call to talk about leadership already set Bravo apart from the rest of the coaches out there.

2. The depth of knowledge transfer where I am still processing and internalizing it as I write this. He, yet again, over-delivered so much gold. I wrote down 13 pages of notes from this call.

3. He spent hours on a Saturday afternoon/evening on a leadership discussion with me, while he had other important things to do that day.

No surprise - THIS is just one of the many solid reasons why I am in the Bravohood.

Ice.
Ice
Purple Belt X
Purple Belt X

Re: Few points on Bravo's personal leadership

Postby Supertrip » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Never ask someone to do something that you would not do yourself

this one really hit home bc I had recent experience where a "friend" of mine asked me to do something knowing full well he would NOT do that for me.......so I said no and he got all mad. Too fucking bad... cut him out of my inner circle. I don't like to feel used. Stand your ground and

Never bend on your values and what you believe in

^^^^^That's gold right there^^^^^^

GREAT post brother. Really have alot of great takeaways here.

:P
Supertrip
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Teazy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Great post with tons of awesome lessons!

One thing embedded in here that wasn't stated outright is having concern and being thoughtful for those you lead. In true form, Bravo lived up to his word and lead by example.

He gave a few hours of his time when he said 10-15 minutes all for the sake of helping another improve and asked nothing in return. You're right, no other coach would do that.

Grateful Bravo came around to being okay with presenting this information.

Very valuable stuff. Thanks for sharing!
TZ

"I got your back Jack. Bitches be crazy!" - Sheldon Cooper
Teazy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby S D » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:28 pm

This post is incredible!

one time SunDevil
S D
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Ice » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks guys - glad you guys find it of value to you. I learned a lot from this so thought I'd share it.

:)
Ice
Purple Belt X
Purple Belt X

Postby S D » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 am

yeah I have gone through and wrote everyone of these things down in my phone. Not just for leadership but excellent rules to live by.

one time SunDevil
S D
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Ice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Bump
Ice
Purple Belt X
Purple Belt X

Postby Monteray » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm

wow that is fucking awesome.
Monteray
Blue Belt X
Blue Belt X

Postby Bachelor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 am

I had a few of these qualities before my one on one with Bravo but I have got a whole lot more.
Bachelor
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Feedback from guys I've coached