1on1 w/ Bravo - FR: The Ego vs. The Field

Feedback from guys I have personally worked with either thru
-Phone Coaching
-1on1's
-Project X

Re: 1on1 w/ Bravo - FR: The Ego vs. The Field

Postby Techfall » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Very detailed break down. I enjoyed it since I can relate to your fighting experience. (Why counterpunch when you can take down for the kill ;) )

Congrats on the belt change
Techfall
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Maestro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:16 am

Congrats Queue!

Well written. Great point about the ego. Easy to make excuses, harder to admit weaknesses and learn from mistakes.
-Maestro
Project X Alumni
‎"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Alfred Lord Tennyson
Maestro
Brown Belt X
Brown Belt X

Postby Xerces » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice post Queue! I really liked the boxing/pick up analogys. I just ran 5 Oceans successfully like you told me last night. My wings thought it was the shit. Congrats on purple as well.
Xerces
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Shotz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Great read Queue! Very well written and narrated. I love how your ego and the field became real life characters. Your ego can f with you. From time to time, I have to humble myself, remember I have much to learn, things I can improve on no matter how many successes come my way.

And congrats on the purple belt, it's well deserved!
Shotz
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Fire » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Inspiring shit!
My girlfriend and I broke up for the final time last Wednesday (5 yrs relationship).
And now I can focus and get serious into pick up.
Really enjoyed your post because I also have the same problems: although I know a few tricks and theories that get me awesome results, my fundamentals are zero. And during the field I always trick myself into ignoring them.
Awesome post man.
Good luck with your "new" journey
Abraços,
AN
"For me life is continously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer"
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Fire
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Boom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Very nice brother! Props on the purple belt, give me a shout next time your in AZ. Always down for meeting the Bravohoodlums (as Smooth calls it).

One of the most interestingly written FR's I've read thus far. Putting everything into boxing terms definitely makes it unique.
‎"The standard pace is for chumps, the system is designed so anyone can keep up. If you're more driven than 'just anyone' you can do so much more than anyone expects."
Boom
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby NSM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Great stuff brother! I really enjoyed the break down too and it made me think of some things that I hadn't thought of in debth before. Like how I have learned a lot of routines, tricks, stories, and little bits of knowlage about a wide range of subjects, that I can slowly expose girls to over time and there is always something new about me that they are learning as we go...

Anyway, I'm glad you got a lot out of your time with Bravo and congrats on the well deserved purple belt!
- NSM

NSM
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Stealth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:58 am

Wow, queue, this was one of the best FR's i've ever read. I guess one of the reasons was that it hit so close to home.

Don't you love the eerie similarities between this game and the fight game? It really is uncanny.

Your comparison to the counterpucher style is something that is so accurate and people really need to understand that. There are many who have trained boxing for a few months (or years even) and can explain everything about counterpunching, can step by step break down and critique your technique, yet when you throw them in the ring, they can't do shit. Obviously we all know that the exact same thing exists in pick-up. Shit.. i myself have read mystery method like 10 times and can probably explain the entire thing to you with great detail. But, my preformance in the field is not where I want it to be. I, like you, want to be the guy who can PERFORM, not just tell another guy how to perform. Anyone who does not have this mindset is really kidding themselves, because if you can't actually PERFORM to some degree you cannot really be an effective teacher.

I really like the discussion of leaving the open loops (like bait) and going into material only when it hooks. This really does make a conversation much more natural.

Great stuff queue, and congrats on the purple.
Stealth
Purple Belt X
Purple Belt X

Postby Stealth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:00 am

Techfall wrote:Very detailed break down. I enjoyed it since I can relate to your fighting experience. (Why counterpunch when you can take down for the kill ;) )

Congrats on the belt change

Don't limit yourself to being the "i MUST get the takedown" guy! Otherwise, a good sprawl and brawler will fuck you up one day!

Analogy to pickup: Don't limit yourself to being the "i MUST go direct/natural" guy!
Stealth
Purple Belt X
Purple Belt X

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 am

to keep the fighting analogy going

anyone who has trained, has worked with an old guy that is slow and methodical...barely exerts any energy, and tools them

thats what I have been really working on since moving from LA, I want to be as efficient and effective as possible

exert the least amount of effort, and get the biggest gain

-I'm also kinda lazy... ;)
Respectfully,
Bravo

"Eighty percent of success is showing up" James Allen

When in doubt just think...
WWBD™ = What Would Bravo Do
Stephen
Site Admin/Black Belt
Site Admin/Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback from guys I've coached